JFBA: Student Government
Guidelines For Student Council
The Board of School Trustees (the “Board”) believes in an effective Student Council. The Board believes that, in every Vancouver secondary school, the Student Council should be elected and that every full-time student of the school should be eligible for nomination.
The Board also believes the Student Council should:
- select its staff sponsor with his or her consent;
- control and keep a regular account of its funds, according to established business practice;
- make its own decisions in keeping with the existing practices of the school;
- communicate with students, teachers, and parents through bulletins, meetings, and the public address system (school equipment and facilities should be available for Student Council use when not needed for the school's normal operations);
- sponsor and/or encourage other student organizations and clubs to function within the school to meet special interests and needs of the students - if no teacher-sponsor is available, the principal will assist in arranging for a mutually acceptable adult sponsor.
DMT Responsibility: AS-M