Info for Parents
Here are a few links to resources we've developed for parents on our website:
Back to school factsheets
The Ministry of Education has prepared some back to school factsheets to help prepare students for the school year.
School counsellors are available to help students who are dealing with difficulties in school or at home. However, if urgent help is needed after school hours you may contact these emergency numbers for help.
District-Based support staff
District-Based support staff are teachers and other specially trained support staff who are usually assigned to several different schools. They work with school staffs and help to develop special programs for learners.
How to solve a concern at school
Most concerns at schools can be solved through meeting with teachers and if necessary principals and vice-principals at school. Learn the process that parents/guardians should follow in solving a concern at school.
Parent Information brochures
The VSB and the team at the District Reception and Placement Centre have compiled a number of brochures to assist parents with some general questions they may have about BC schools.
- Parent Information brochures in English
- Multi-language translated brochures in Chinese, Korean, Tagalog, French, Punjabi, Vietnamese or Spanish.
- Steering Kids Away From Gangs booklet - was created with the input of parents in Vancouver as well as consultation with many professionals working with youth in schools and in the community.It has been translated into several languages.
- Go here for information on School Age Children and Youth - Substance Use Prevention Initiative (SACY) Schools Download the SACY information booklet
Getting to school safely
- Explore ways to get to school by walking, cycling and public transportation.
- Traffic safety tips for parents and drivers