Location: 3250 Kingsway
Grades: K - 7
Excerpts from Administrative Report: Schools Considered for Potential Closure - Carleton Elementary p.113-122
- Where Carleton Elementary catchment students go to school (pdf)
- Where Carleton Elementary students come from (pdf)
Click on maps below to open and read details.
Page 111 of report: Figure 64. Map of area 5
Download a helpful guide to interpreting the catchment and enrolment maps for Carleton Elementary (pdf)
Stage 1 Evaluation - Policy Criteria Assessment
The Policy Criteria Assessment is undertaken to establish if the initial two policy conditions are met for the school to be considered for closure.
- Read Stage 1 Evaluation (pdf)
Stage 2 Evaluation - Detailed School Assessment
- Read Stage 2 Evaluation (pdf)
- The current enrolment at Carleton Elementary is 376 students and is currently operating at 73% capacity utilization; however the regular in-catchment population totals 254 students.
- Carleton Elementary has a significant portion of the out of catchment students, particularly from Bruce Elementary, which is also on the list for consideration of closure.
- Weir Elementary, the neighboring school with the largest shared boundary with Carleton is operating over capacity.
- There is a subsidized breakfast/lunch program at Carleton, which may contribute to the higher out of catchment population.
- There is an out of school care program with 30 licensed spaces at Carleton.
- Carleton Elementary is high on the priority list for seismic mitigation renewal.
- The large property has split commercial/residential zoning and redevelopment potential.
- Carleton has a high heritage ranking.
The analysis of Area 5 indicates significant amounts of surplus space at several schools. Due to its central location within Area 5, it would be viable to redistribute the Carleton attendance area enrolment to Bruce, MacCorkindale, Weir, Cunningham, Norquay and Grenfell. Although these boundary changes are complex, this option should advance to the public consultation phase.
Based on the Stage 2 Evaluation, it is recommended that Carleton Elementary be advanced to the public consultation phase.