Grades: K - 7
Excerpts from Administrative Report: Schools Considered for Potential Closure
Public Consulation and Feedback Meetings
For meeting details and format please check www.vsb.bc.ca/school-closures. This section includes related reports; links to the school closure process policy; status updates; and decision timelines.Parents and other members of the public can write an email to the Board at: firstname.lastname@example.org
* NB: Student enrolment numbers for Sept. 20th 2010 are preliminary and may be subject to change.
|Programs & Rentals|
Other School Programs: Breakfast/Lunch Program,
Inner City Schools Program and KidSafe
Childcare: MacDonald Preschool Care is operating in
a portable and Eagles in the Sky Out of School Care is operating within the school
Other Rentals: Gym, fields, parking, film location
Facilities and Operations Info
School Size (Gross Floor Area): 3696 square meters
- Where Macdonald catchment students go to school (pdf)
- Where Macdonald Elementary students come from (pdf)
Click on maps below to open and read details.
Page 53 of report: Figure 34. Map of Area 3
(Macdonald Elementary): 2010 enrolment and
school surplus spaces
Page 55 of report: Figure 35. Possible redistribution of Macdonald Elementary students
Download a helpful guide to interpreting the catchment and enrolment maps for Macdonald Elementary (pdf)
Stage 1 Evaluation - Policy Criteria Assessment
The Policy Criteria Assessment is undertaken to establish if the initial two policy conditions are met for the school to be considered for closure.
- Read Stage 1 Evaluation (pdf)
Stage 2 Evaluation - Detailed School Assessment
- Read Stage 2 Evaluation (pdf)
- The current enrolment at Macdonald Elementary is 70 students and its capacity utilization is 32%. Low enrolment hinders the ability to configure grades and staffing in an effective and efficient organization.Students have less opportunity for non-enrolling programming due to the low enrolment.
- The school building is 50% larger than the Ministry of Education space standards specify for a school of its capacity. Coupled with the fact that it is operating at only one third of its capacity, the operating costs per student are substantially higher than average.
- There is currently surplus capacity at Britannia, Nelson/Garibaldi, Hastings/Tillicum and Seymour, although Seymour is also under consideration for closure.
- The catchment area is divided by arterial roads, which could be used to delineate new catchment area boundaries, thereby improving travel safety for a number of students.
- If Macdonald Elementary is closed, consideration will need to be given to provision of support for students who currently benefit from the Inner City Schools program, Kidsafe and the subsidized breakfast and lunch programs.
- There is a purpose built preschool portable on the school grounds. If the school is closed, the District will need to work with the preschool and out of school childcare providers in an effort to retain or relocate the childcare spaces.
- There is future development potential for this site based on its location and zoning.
This assessment of Macdonald Elementary indicates that there is capacity at surrounding schools to accommodate the students. The low enrolment at this school results in a disproportionately high student to staff ratio.
Based on the Stage 2 Evaluation, it is recommended that Macdonald Elementary be advanced to the public consultation phase.