Queen Alexandra Elementary
Location: 1300 E. Broadway
Grades: K - 7
Excerpts from Administrative Report: Schools Considered for Potential Closure
Public Consulation and Feedback Meetings
|Programs & Rentals|
Other School Programs: StrongStart, Lunch Program,
Inner City Schools Program, KidSafe
Childcare: Queen Alexandra Out of School Care
Other Rentals: Gym
|Facilities and Operations Info|
School Size (Gross Floor Area): 3,798 square meters
Age of Facility: 101 years
2004 VSB Seismic Ranking Priority: 62/103
Commonwealth Report (2008) Heritage Score: 17/25
Property Assessment Value (February 2010): $18,697,000
- Where Queen Alexandra catchment students go to school (pdf)
- Where Queen Alexandra Elementary students come from (pdf)
Click on maps below to open and read details.
Page 91 of report: Figure 54. Map of Area 4
(Queen Alexandra Elementary): 2010 enrolment
and school surplus spaces
(Revised Nov 5)
Page 93 of report: Figure 55. Possible redistribution
of Queen Alexandra Elementary students
(Revised Nov 5)
Download a helpful guide to interpreting the catchment and enrolment maps for Queen Alexandra Elementary (pdf)
Stage 1 Evaluation - Policy Criteria Assessment
The Policy Criteria Assessment is undertaken to establish if the initial two policy conditions are met for the school to be considered for closure.
- Read Stage 1 Evaluation (pdf)
Stage 2 Evaluation - Detailed School Assessment
- Read Stage 2 Evaluation (pdf)
- The current enrolment at Queen Alexandra Elementary is 176 students and its capacity utilization is 61%.
- There is currently surplus capacity at all of the six schools surrounding Queen Alexandra, although Dickens Annex is also under consideration for closure, which could potentially utilize the surplus capacity currently available at Dickens Elementary.
- The location of Queen Alexandra on Broadway and Clark Drive is detrimental to the quality of the learning environment and playground due to traffic volume and noise.
- If Queen Alexandra Elementary is closed, consideration will need to be given to the provision of support for students who currently benefit from the Inner City Schools program, Kidsafe, StrongStart and the subsidized breakfast and lunch programs.
- There is a purpose built childcare portable on the school grounds. The District will need to work with the preschool and out of school childcare providers in an effort to retain or relocate the childcare spaces if the school is closed.
- There is future development potential for this site, based on its location and zoning.
This assessment of Queen Alexandra Elementary indicates that there is physical capacity at surrounding schools to accommodate the students; however, redistribution of 176 students could involve boundary adjustments to up to six schools.
Based on the Stage 2 Evaluation, it is recommended that Queen Alexandra Elementary be advanced to the public consultation phase.