Held at the VSB Education Centre, 1580 West Broadway, Vancouver
Wednesday, 2010 November 03 at 1600 hours
Trustees Present: P. Bacchus, Chairperson
A. Blakey K. Denike
J. Bouey C. Gibson
K. Clement M. Lombardi
Team Present: S. Cardwell, Superintendent of Schools
B. Ng, Secretary Treasurer
M. Ciarinello, Associate Superintendent
R. Krowchuk, Assistant Secretary Treasurer
J. Tinney, Associate Superintendent
Stakeholders Present: P. Faoro, CUPE 15 R. Schindel, VASSA
B. Boyd, CUPE 407 A. Tremblay, VEPVPA
G. Giesbrecht, DPAC C. Harris, VESTA
S. Baker, DPAC D. Smith, VESTA
B. Swann, PASA
The Chairperson of the Board called the meeting to order.
Delegations provided their feedback regarding the Schools Considered for Potential Closure.
In summary, delegates requested the Board to:
- consider the impact of closing schools to their neighbourhoods;
- create solutions that would bring the communities inside the schools and maximize benefits for students;
- look at other properties that are owned by the Board (i.e. Kingsgate Mall) before schools are considered for closure;
- include in its assessment, the research that went into the 2007 Education Facilities Review report, which include data that communities do not support closing schools;
- continue advocacy efforts and pressure provincial government for adequate funding for public education;
- engage in public consultation meetings with the community for potential land use of district sites;
- that no lay-offs to CUPE 15 staff occur;
- target the use of lease and rental revenue for education; and
- engage in a comparative analysis based on “mapping” of students, for public and private schools, within the district .
The Chairperson of the Board:
- thanked the delegates for their presentation; and
- noted that the Board will continue to receive feedback regarding the Schools Considered for Potential Closure until the 2010 November 23.
The meeting was adjourned at 1650 hours.