In November 2010, the Vancouver Board of Education began the process of consultation to develop a Strategic Plan to articulate its long-term goals and priorities and provide overall strategic direction for the School District. This was a comprehensive process comprising research and consultation with the School District’s partner groups and the public.
Development and approval of the Strategic Plan was completed last Spring.
In December 2010, focus groups were conducted with the Board of Trustees and representatives of the District’s partner groups, including:
- District Parent Advisory Council;
- Vancouver Elementary School Teachers' (VESTA);
- Vancouver Secondary Teachers' Association (VSTA);
- Vancouver Association of Secondary School Administrators;
- Vancouver Elementary Principals and Vice Principals Association;
- Professional and Administrative Staff Association:
- Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 407:
- Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 15;
- Building Trades representatives; and
- Vancouver District Students’ Council.
The purpose of the sessions was to gather input on relevant achievement, demographic, economic and technological trends; strengths and weaknesses of the School District’s organization; opportunities the School District might take advantage of to better fulfill its mission; the challenges it will need to overcome; and the values that should guide the District as it moves forward.
The results of the focus group sessions provided the foundation for the Strategic Plan and will inform continued planning work to be undertaken through the next several years.