Office of the Secretary - Treasurer
The major responsibilities of the Secretary-Treasurer's Office include:
- Overseeing the business divisions of Finance, Purchasing and Administration, and Facilities and Planning, as well as providing support to the trustees
- Recording and maintaining records for the board and standing committee meetings
- Coordinating board and standing committee meetings, and creating and distributing board correspondence
- Maintaining the VSB website for board and standing committee meetings
- Providing business, budget and financial advice to internal and external stakeholders
- Overseeing Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy requests
- Fulfilling the responsibilities and requirements of the Secretary-Treasurer as outlined in the School Act
|Executive Coordinator||Judy Mah||604-713-5286|
|Executive Assistant||Amanda Poon||604-713-5694|
Public Delegation Board Meetings
In April 2022, the Board passed the following motion:
That the Board of Education adopt, effective immediately, the practice of receiving delegations at a monthly meeting of the Board instead of at Standing Committees, as per the Delegation Board Meeting pilot which the Board approved on June 21, 2021.
Further, the Board direct staff to amend Policy 8 to remove delegations from Standing Committees and Policy 7 to add a Board meeting to receive delegations each month in which a regular Board meeting is scheduled. Policy 7 should reflect that this be a meeting of the Board rather than a Committee of the Whole, as the intent of delegation meetings is for members of the public to provide input and feedback directly to trustees as governors of the District.
As per the motion, Policy 7 and Policy 8 have been revised to reflect these changes.
For the 2023-2024 school year, the following dates have been scheduled for the Public Delegation Board Meetings:
- Monday, Sep 18, 2023 – 7:00 pm (Delegation requests close on Sep 13 @ 4:30 pm)
- Monday, Oct 23, 2023 – 7:00 pm (Delegation requests close on Oct 18 @ 4:30 pm)
- Monday, Nov 20, 2023 – 7:00 pm (Delegation requests close on Nov 15 @ 4:30 pm)
- Monday, Jan 22, 2024 – 7:00 pm (Delegation requests close on Jan 17 @ 4:30 pm)
- Tuesday, Feb 20, 2024 – 7:00 pm (Delegation requests close on Feb 14 @ 4:30 pm)
- Monday, April 22, 2024 – 7:00 pm (Delegation requests close on April 17 @ 4:30 pm)
- Tuesday, May 21, 2024 – 7:00 pm (Delegation requests close on May 15 @ 4:30 pm)
- Monday, June 17, 2024 – 7:00 pm (Delegation requests close on June 12 @ 4:30 pm)
Delegations will have the option to present either in person or virtually. The District uses Microsoft Teams as its virtual platform for meetings and has developed procedures to include members of the public who wish to make a delegation to the Board .
Making Delegation Arrangements
Individuals who wish to speak at a Public Delegation Board Meeting please refer to the following excerpt from Board Policy 7, section 4:
4. Public Delegation Board Meeting
4.1 Public Delegation Board Meetings are intended to provide members of the community with the opportunity to present to the Board on matters relating to governance and/or budget. Formal stakeholder representatives shall not be heard as delegations as they have other avenues, including representation on Standing Committees, to provide input to the Board. Matters involving employees or individual students shall not be heard.
4.2 No Board business, other than the receipt of public delegations, shall be conducted at this meeting and as such, no matter raised by a delegation shall be considered at this meeting.
4.3 Public Delegation Board Meetings shall normally be held one time per month in each month of the school year in which a Regular Board meeting is held. Meetings will normally take place one week prior to the Regular Board Meeting at the hour of 17:00. These meetings will not be held on the same evening as the regular monthly Board meeting. Meeting dates will be posted to the Board calendar posted on the District website.
4.4 A member of the public wishing to present must submit a request in writing to the Secretary-Treasurer a request stating their name, the matter they which to bring before the Board and a copy of the brief and/or presentation they intend to make. Requests must be received (preferably electronically) prior to 16:30 hours on the Wednesday before the Public Delegation Board Meeting is scheduled.
4.5 The Chair shall determine if a delegation shall be permitted to present to the Board. The Chair may consult with the Agenda Setting Committee in making a decision. A delegation shall not be permitted to present on the same topic more than once.
4.6 Procedures for delegations:
4.6.1 The time allotted for the delegation’s presentation will be five minutes;
4.6.2 Delegations are welcome to present information, perspectives, and opinions for the consideration of the Board. Delegates are expected to comply with Board norms of conduct and decorum at meetings. Personal, inflammatory, or accusatory language will not be tolerated.
4.6.3 Delegations are encouraged to provide feedback on matters currently in an active public engagement through the engagement process rather than as a delegation to the Board.
4.6.4 Board members may direct questions for clarification through the spokesperson for the delegation; however, the matter will not be debated.
4.6.5 Board questions for staff in relation to delegation presentation will be emailed to the Superintendent who shall determine how best to provide the information requested.
4.7 Delegation meetings shall not exceed 4 hours in length, including a recess.
Individuals or delegations wishing to present to a Public Delegation Board Meeting should contact the following by email no later than 4:30 pm on the Wednesday before the scheduled Public Delegation Board Meeting (please include contact phone number):
Flavia Coughlan, Secretary-Treasurer and Judy Mah, Executive Coordinator at email@example.com