Skip to main content
image description

Student Records



A transcript is an official document that shows your secondary school marks and credits in a British Columbia Graduation Program. It is a listing of a student's academic record relating to a BC Graduation Program, which includes courses completed successfully, grades earned, honours received, and graduation status.

Your transcript, not your Graduation Certificate (diploma), is the legal document proving graduation.

Current VSB Students

Vancouver Secondary Schools provide transcripts for their current students at no charge.

Inactive (Former) VSB Students

Official Transcripts, Graduation Certificates and GED records can be obtained from the Ministry of Education in Victoria B.C. online Ministry of Education - Transcripts and Certificates 

Any questions or concerns about ordering official documents from the Ministry of Education can be emailed to

The ministry of education Student Transcript Service will have your transcript if you attended a BC or Yukon Secondary school and you:

  • Graduated after 1985
  • Completed a grade 12 course after 1986
  • Attended grade 12 prior to 1974 in the University Entrance or Academic-Technical Program

If you graduated in 1985 or earlier, you can obtain your transcript by completing the Request for Student Records Form.

Permanent Student Record (PSR)

A Permanent Student Record (PSR) is a listing of a student's entire academic record for grades K-12, which includes courses taken, achievement records (excluding provincial exams), absences, schools attended and graduation status.

Current Students

Students can obtain their Permanent Student Record from the school that they are presently attending.

Inactive (Former) Students

If you last attended a VSB school on or before 30 June 2018, you can request your permanent Student Record by completing the Request for Student Records Form.
If you last attended a VSB school after 30 June 2018, you can request your Permanent Student Record by contacting the school that you last attended.

Download Request for Student Records Form

Instructions for Completion

To ensure the privacy and security of the student record information, a legible copy of government issued photographic identification must accompany the request form.  Please do not send originals.

Submitting the Form

Your completed Request for Permanent Student Records form may be e-mailed to or mailed to the Student Records Dept, Vancouver School Board, 1580 West Broadway Ave, Vancouver, BC, V6J 5K8.

Service Level

You will be contacted within one week of receipt of your records request to inform you of the status of your request. During winter and summer vacation periods it may take longer than one week to process requests.

Provision of Student Records

Ensure that you have specified how you would like to obtain your student records on the Request for Permanent Student Records form.

Records can be

  • E-mailed as encrypted attachment
  • Mailed thru registered mail (with additional cost of $15)


  • Payment for student records must be received prior to records being released.
  • Once the availability of your records has been confirmed you will be contacted by district staff to request payment.
  • Cheques or Money Orders payable to the Vancouver School Board will be accepted by mail. 
  • Non Refundable Processing Service Fee is $10.00 for the 1st copy, and $5.00 for each additional, inclusive of GST

Unclaimed student records ordered for pick up will be destroyed 6 months after they are issued.  No refunds will be issued should the document not be picked up

CRA Requests

Requests for proof of guardianship, address verification and/or student attendance verification as required by the CRA should be directed to the school where your child/children attended during the time period specified in the CRA request.  Secondary school offices are open during the summer months except when office staff are on holiday, elementary school offices are closed during the summer.

Current Students

Legal requests for students currently attending a VSB school should be directed to the school.

Inactive (Former) Students

Attorneys requesting their client's educational records may e-mail or mail written requests to the Student Records Dept, Vancouver School Board, 1580 West Broadway Ave, Vancouver, BC, V6J 5K8.

Please include the following information for your client in your request:

  • Date of birth
  • Maiden name and/or any other name your client has used
  • The last school your client attended in Vancouver

Student Records Services requires the request in writing along with a signed authorization from the former student.

Personal Education Numbers

Your nine-digit PEN can be found on your student records or report card.

To obtain your Personal Education Number (PEN), please contact the Ministry of Education. 

Obtaining your PEN

Businesses and Education Verification Services

The Vancouver School Board does not provide student records directly to Businesses or Education Verification Services.  Students requiring records for employment purposes may request these records directly and supply them to third parties as required.

In order to protect personal privacy, the VSB Student Records Service will not confirm or refute information provided regarding the education of current or former students.

The content and management of student files is governed by provincial legislation and the Vancouver School District Policy JO and Regulation JO-R.

The confidentiality of student records is maintained at all times; however, records may be made available to parents, guardians or to former students who have attained legal age, in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and other legal entitlements.

Back to top